On Thursday 18 December 2003 02:32 pm, Brian wrote:
> > How is this any different then the build process for 2.0.x-2.4.x kernels?
> > I haven't had a need for a 2.6.x kernel yet, but the process sounds
> > identical.  Doesn't sound "new and improved" to me.
>
> Some of the more experienced folks can correct me, but they've removed a
> few steps.  make now makes the bzImage and the modules, which it didn't
> before IIRC.

Yep.  No more:

make dep
make bzImage
make modules

Just:

make

The graphical configuration tools are also *much* better than the ones in 2.4,
IMHO.  The option of using either Qt or GTK+ for these is also new.  Finally,
as Brian says, they've cleaned up the output of the build process.  All you
see (by default) is the name of the command which is being run, the name of
the file on which it is being run, and any warnings or error messages.