On Thursday 18 December 2003 11:34 am, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> Samuel MacDonald wrote:
> > With the 2.6 kernel out (happy holiday) and most of us Linux newbies not
> > getting a clue for Christmas.  It would be nice to see the process of
> > building a kernel.  Installing is one thing but maintaining (upgrading)
> > is another.
> > Once I see something done by someone who knows what they are doing, I'm
> > more likely to try it my self.
>
> ah, live a little Sam!  take a crack at it yourself and then you'll have
> better questions when the experts are around.  The kernel documentation
> is what got me started way back when.  See /usr/src/linux/README and
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/*
>
> If that isn't enough there are plenty of HOWTO's and websites detailing
> how to roll your own kernel.  Really, it's a pretty simple process.

And the 2.6 kernel build system makes it even simpler.  You just type:

make menuconfig (for text-based configuration)
make xconfig (for GUI-based config using the Qt libraries - my preference)
or
make gconfig (for GUI-based config using the GTK+ libraries)

Then:

make (this builds the kernel and modules)
make modules_install (too obvious for comment)
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.0 (install your new kernel)

And finish by adding the appropriate lines to your boot-loader's
configuration, in order to add another boot option.  This can be tricky at
first, but as long as you keep your old kernel available as a menu option,
you've got nothing to worry about.

One thing to be aware of, is that you *will* need to install module-init-tools
if you use any modules in your 2.6 kernel.  Source can be downloaded from:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/

RPMs can be downloaded elsewhere.

There are always a few other twists and turns, but I agree with the rest of
the comments - read the documentation and give it a try :)