On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Samuel MacDonald wrote:

> The reason schools now have M$ products is 3 fold.
> 1. Business uses M$ products, business has a huge say in what is taught
> in schools. "What kind of workers
>     do you need today."

no they don't, that is the plot hole that apple fell into,
1. give computers to schools for cheap/free
2. students graduate and know Apple computers
3. people use apples at work because they know them
4. people demand that more schools teach apples
5. profit!

see... 3,4 and 5 never happened
people use whatever thay are told they should use at work not what they
want to use, and business didnt demand anything because in the end they
had to reeducate the employees on softwareX anyways. All the employees
_need_ to know is how to use a mouse!
Apple nearly went away because of this and it was Microsoft that had to
bail them out.

> 2. M$ is pushing like crazy to get it's products in to the schools.
>     M$ can market like no other company I know of

kinda like the Count of Monte Cristo, he had money so people listened.

> 3. Can I hire a Linux SA for the same as an NT SA?
>     Is Linux easier to support then NT?

yes it is

> Now if your school needs computers, many of the biggest companies in
> this country will grant schools $ to purchase computers. Not with OSX or
> Linux but you guessed it M$ products.  The computer lab at my kids
> school has better PC's then I do (doesn't take much). They must have
> 35-40 PC's with 17 inch displays.

afaik no grant was ever that specific... they usually give money to build
a computer lab or classroom and the schools IT dept. doesnt know any
better that to request anything OTHER than MS software

--
Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET