Ryan Hayle writes:
> Linux is the best choice for any
> school computer lab--I just hate to see our funding-starved schools
> wasting money on MS licenses.  MCFS offers a 32-seat PIII Computer
> Lab for $8700.  Imagine what percentage of that is MS licenses!  Must
> be 20% at least!

You're wrong and are spreading FUD.

MS licenses for schools can be dirt cheap.  I recall Windows and Office
being available for around $10 each.

Linux is certainly not "the best choice for any school computer lab".  Here
are just a couple of reasons why:

Programs that are used in the real world often only run on Windows.  These
programs might include MS Office, CAD, circuit designers and testers, etc.
While the difference between Microsoft Office and other office suites may be
negligable both to a casual office user and to a power user, the differences
can be huge to both a heavy office user and an average computer user.  If
the purpose of a course is to teach how to use a specific application, then
you need to be able to run that application.

Linux is not the easiest OS to fix.  Schools often have to rely on teachers
to fix problems with computers.  Giving them something that is difficult to
fix means there will be less computers for students to use.  From a
reliability and TCO standpoint, Apple might come out ahead.

Promoting Linux is fine, but start thinking about why Linux is a better
solution from all standpoints.

http://www.lfsp.org/

> Setting up Linux labs for schools has been a big interest of
> mine--especially setting up Linux Terminal Server labs on old
> hardware--this alone could save schools thousands, or at the very
> least allow them to open additional labs or provide a terminal in
>     every class. What do you think?

When I was in middle school, we had 386s.  They ran DOS applications like
Microsoft Works just fine.  Do you really need ten times more computing
resources to run a word processor?

The next time you have an old computer that seems like a piece of junk that
can't run anything think about this:  When it was new, there was a lot of
software available for it that ran great.  Does modern software do that much
more?

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/