Hi,

Yesterday I tried to put a DVD burner and an extra hard drive
into ai Debian testing box, and I have been getting kernel panics
ever since. I think that the panic is happening right when the
sytem is trying to mount the root filesystem.  The last few lines
I see are:

EXT3-fs: mounted filesytem with order data mode
exec: 217:chroot not found
kernel panic: attempted to kill init

Since then I have tried a number of things to fix the problem.  I
have returned the hardware to the original configuration.  I have
tried booting other older kernels on the same box.  No luck.

I did change the kernel on this box a couple of weeks ago, but it
booted fine then.  I am suspicious that my problem relates to
this, but that wouldn't explain why my old kernel s don't work
either.

It boots fine under Knoppix and I have played around a bit.  My
disks fsck fine.  I can run lilo OK and I get no errors.

At this point, I really don't know what to try next.  Any
suggestions?