On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:43:23PM -0600, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> Ok, so the Debian packages search site[1] has been down almost a month now
> because of a security exploit.  Being a Debian newbie, where else can
> I look to see what packages are available if I don't know their names?
> 'dpkg -p <pkgname>' only works if I know the name of the package.
Check out dselect or aptitude.  I like dselect, but it's considered a
little old school, and it can get you in trouble if you're too quick on
the keyboard.  I saw a guy, and I still don't know how he did it, but he
hit uninstall and dselect uninstalled every package on his computer,
including dselect itself.

dan