On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 12:13:45PM -0600, Aaron Thompson wrote:
> <.02>
> the question shouldn't be: "Did it have a hole?".
> it should be: "Was it fixed (properly)? and how quickly?".
> </.02>
Yes, but why choose a *ftpd that has a history of vulnerabilities such
as wu-ftp.  I had a professor in college a couple years ago, and all of
his red hat boxes got 0wned through a wu-ftp exploit.  Now, i'm sure the
boxes weren't up to date, but he was quite embrassed about the whole
thing.

Anyway, about the sftp thing, if I understand it right, it's not ftp at
all, just an ftp-like client that uses scp, right?  from the users
perspective, it's like ftp, but it is really not ftp at all.  If I am
right (anyone?), then sftp is a bit of a misnomer.

And if you're looking for a good sftp client or whatever you want to
call it, I have used filezilla from windows with good results.  supports
regular style ftp, as well as "ftp" over port 22 scp style.

dan