I used a perl script, "rip" by Gregory Smethells to rip over 200
CD's.  This can be a front end to many of the lower level ripping tools.
Its nice because it's automated, pop in a disk, run it,
and some time later it ejects the tray when it is done.

I know little about tags, but I arranged "rip" to
put the mp3s on disk like this:
<artist-dir>
  <album-dir>
    <A_Song_From_Album.mp3>
    <Another_Song_From_Album.mp3>

Ripped all the CD's at 128kbs, which I can't tell the diff from
the real thing.  To do a blind study, reverse a mp3 back to wav,
then burn that on to a CD along side the original wav.  Do this
for several songs.  Then pop the CD in your stereo, press random
play, listen, guess, then look at the track number..

Later on I noticed that a problem with this organization is that
I lost the track# information, if I played an album, it would not
be in the original order, which is annoying.  I also lost the track
time information.

Later I started working on my own Web juke box, made from perl,mysql
apache,mp321, and scanning the CD album art.

I ended up having to put all my CD's back in, and collect the
"magic number" that the CDDA databases work off from.  Then
I made some perl routines to match up the ripped songs/locations
so I could add to the data base all the CDDA database info that
was missing(track #, proper names,..).  I added the associated
magic number too to the mysql table as well.

I have two sets of burned CD's which hold my collection.
I'll probably burn them to DVD disks some time, and it would
make sense to add tags, and store MD5 check files.