Brent Friedman writes:
> I was wondering if anyone on the list is using (or has used) paypal
> to accept online payments.

I've setup several systems that take PayPal for payment.  Their IPN API
makes it easy to automatically process payments and there are examples for
several languages.  Unfortunately, they do not have an API to handle
refunds.  They must be done through their web interface.  On the plus side,
they allow you to create extra logins for an account that only have certain
privileges, which is useful for customer service people.

PayPal has higher fees than a merchant account, but they are acceptable for
low volume or as a secondary processor.  The only issue I've run into is
that the first time you go over a limit for a month ($20k), they won't let
you touch the funds (but can still accept payments) until you send in extra
documentation.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/