From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Brian
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 2:50 PM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Online payments

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Brent Friedman wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone on the list is using (or has used) paypal to
accept online payments.

Not very much, but I think I have enough insight to help you.

Paypal's bad rap is because they are a business and their number 1 goal is
to make money.  It's really easy to make money when people are channeling
money through you.  By delaying payments and holding onto your money as long
as possible, they can accumulate interest on your money, and charge you for
the convenience.  I don't worry about it because my transactions are usually
small ($50 or less) transactions, usually buying on Ebay.  If you're
channeling thousands of dollars through them, they're making a nice profit
on you.

The real problems with Paypal arise while they're hanging onto your money
for you.  Delayed payments are nothing compared to some stories I've heard,
where Paypal actually refuses to give people their money.  They have a setup
that allows them to directly access your bank.  I say DON'T DO IT.  If they
need money from you, pay by credit card, if they are giving you money,
demand that they mail a paper check.  I think there's a small fee (50 cents
or so) for them to mail you a check, plus they hold onto it for a week
("processing time", my a$$).  They make a little bit more off of you and
inconvenience you, but you're far safer if you keep them away from your bank
account.  Plus then you have a nice paper trail to account for everything.
The other option is to set up a Paypal only bank account, and watch it
carefully.  Most banks will give you a free checking/savings account if you
maintain as little as $100 average daily balance.  If you're looking to set
up a shop on the internet, that's probably worth it.

You have to weed through the 14m3rz, but there is some good info at
www.paypalsucks.com.  It's a good site if you do have a dispute to resolve
with them, and there are some tips on avoiding problems.  Again there's a
lot of pissing and moaning and people who just want attention, but there is
some good info if you're willing (or desperate) to find it.

And finally, as another poster mentions, be wary of Paypal scams.  Paypal is
big, so scammers like to pretend to be Paypal.  There's a fairly new e-mail
virus going around, Mimail.J that masq's itself as a Paypal notice and asks
for CC info.  I assume you're smart enough not to blindly give out your CC#,
but it bears mention.

Good luck!

-Brian