On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:18:02 -0600 (CST)
Nate Carlson <natecars at real-time.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> > Does this sound right?
> > ifconfig eth2 65.15.208.219 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> > route add -net 65.15.208.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 -gw 65.15.208.219 dev eth2
>
> Should work just fine, except '-gw' should just be 'gw'. Note that you
> usually don't need to add the subnet route, it generally gets added when
> you ifconfig the interface. I do this all the time before sending boxes
> out; works great.

Thanks, this worked just fine.  I actually did need the netmask part of the route command though.

I started freaking out though, until I realized that I had the cable plugged into the router, not eth2 of the firewall/router box.  Then I started freaking out again when I tried to ping out from the new server, until I remembered that I disabled pinging except from eth1 (local).  A few tweeks were required in the firewall so fowarding to/from eth2 wasn't dropped by default.

Great learning experience, thanks for the tips.

One quick question, it turns out the gw address is 65.15.208.1, when I set up the NIC using ifconfig it seemed to set up the route information correctly on its own.  Is that usually the case?

Josh