On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:25:23PM -0500, Brent Friedman wrote:
> I was asked to look into feasibility for setting up a Linux (or *bsd)
> based SAN.

1. What do you want to do with the SAN?
2. How much do you want to spend?

The first thing you should know is that SANs are pricey.  Fibre channel
is not cheap and neither are the switches and disks.

> Because of various development environments, I need the SAN to be
> reachable from anything (meaning Windoze, AIX, Solaris or other Linux
> boxen).

I'm not sure how other products are doing with heterogenious
environments but CXFS[1] should cover what you want.  It just needs a
more expensive server than most.

Believe it or not, the Twin Cities probably has the highest
concentration of SAN and file system experience in the world.  Heck, we
could probably have a pretty busy Storage BOF just from LUG members.

Nate

[1] http://www.sgi.com/products/storage/tech/file_systems.html