On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 00:07:21 -0600
Todd Young <auditodd at comcast.net> wrote:

> Uhm, my experience has always been to simply type "su" and then the
> root password at the password query. I've never typed "su root". I
> would assume that for most systems, "su" indicates root, as it's
> short for "super user" which is equivalent to root as far as I know.

I always use the "-" whenever I su.  I want the $PATH loaded for root.
I'm a lazy SOB and don't want to type in the fully qualified path of
each command.  Let alone, hardly remembering the directories in which
those commands exist.

Bear in mind that not all distributions load root's $PATH with the
switch of "su -" as a default.  One of which is Debian.  If you want
it, you need to configure it yourself.  I'm not positive about RH, but
I believe that it load the $PATH for root.

As to the comment about an su'ed environment and losing stuff setup
that way, Nate covered it very well.

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of
fear."
	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"