Sam MacDonald wrote:

>Just changing to a terminal login fixed the problem because gdm does not
>need to run.  The login is not graphical so...

>It only starts if graphical login is the option used in inittab.   I
>then fixed the permissions problem and might test it by setting the
>login back to graphical in the inittab.  Low priority btw.

Just a minor objection to the use of the word "only" in the above
paragraph.  Any init level (in this case 5 = graphical login) can be
passed to the kernel at boot time (via the boot loader) and overrides
the default init level in the /etc/inittab file.  See my previous posts
on this subject for the details of how this can be done using either
the lilo or grub boot loaders.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>