Hay! I was just pondering whether I should post a VERY simlar question!

The error that Chris is getting is the exact error I get when I try to build
Tk at home.  It builds fine on my work machine and they are both RedHat 9
machines!  If you (chris) look at Makefile in your cpan build directory,
you might see a Mess!!!! ExtUtils::MakeMaker is hosing the whole thing up
somehow and I can't figure it out!
. . . .
I _JUST_ went googling for this and found reference to a problem with LANG in
the newsgroups!
I set LANG to en_US and rebuilt and guess what!  It worked!
I also found a thread exactly about Digest::MD5.
(http://groups.google.com/groups?q=MakeMaker+acting+very+very+weird)

So, Chris, try this --

export LANG=en_US
perl -MCPAN -e"install Digest::MD5"

And let us know how far you get!
Thanks for the motivation to fix this.  I have a nice stock watching program
that required it! (http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/smtm.html).

A little more research revealed that LANG is unset at work and set to
en_US.UTF-8 at home.

Gerry

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Chris Schumann wrote:
> > From: "John J. Trammell" <trammell+tclug at el-swifto.com>
> > 1. You can always install the Perl module "by hand"--no need to
> >    use CPAN.
> Well, I'm not sure how to do that. If I use "perl -MCPAN -eshell" and then
> "install Digest::MD5" the same thing happens.

[SNIP]

--
Gerry Skerbitz
gsker at tcfreenet.org