On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:38:06PM -0600, Chris Schumann wrote:
> > From: "John J. Trammell"
>
> > 1. You can always install the Perl module "by hand"--no need to
> >    use CPAN.
> Well, I'm not sure how to do that. If I use "perl -MCPAN -eshell" and then
> "install Digest::MD5" the same thing happens.

The CPAN module isn't necessary to install other modules.
If you can find the tarfile containing the Digest::MD5
module, you can unpack the tarfile, do a "perl Makefile.PL",
then "make", "make test" and "make install"

> > 2. The CPAN settings are modifiable.  'perldoc CPAN' if you want
> >    to do it from within the CPAN shell, or 'locate CPAN | grep Config'
> >    if you want to do it by hand.
> Thanks for the information, but the perldoc is huge, and I don't have time
> to learn everything. I found a few Config.pm and MyConfig.pm files, but
> nothing seemed to have a "installman1" or anything like it.

There's a section titled "CONFIGURATION"--you could start with
that.  No guarantees that's where your problems are though.

I think Munir's suggestion to use your native packaging system
to address this problem is right on the money.

--
trammell at el-swifto.com  9EC7 BC6D E688 A184 9F58  FD4C 2C12 CC14 8ABA 36F5
Twin Cities Linux Users Group (TCLUG)      Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota