Yes, it's very true.  I'm no physics geek, but at 52x the angular
velocity (?) is great enough to tear CD's apart.  I forget the numbers,
but basically you've got some ridiculous amount of force at the outer
edge of the disc, basically trying to pull it apart.  At 52x (or even
48x) with a flimsy disc (low quality, weak, defective, or broken
somehow), this is likely to happen.

Congratulations though, I've never actually seen it done!