On Saturday 23 August 2003 08:40, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> Putty question
> X display location
>     This is something the Putty documentation talks about but never
> really explains what to do with it.  Is this the local path to the x
> window manager i.e. c:\cygwin\....?

X works off "Display Numbers". By default your DISPLAY variable will be :0 or
if you use multiple screens, :0.0  .  It is possible to have multiple X
servers running on the same physical hardware, so they get different numbers.
For example, I use :0 for high res, and :1 for low res (so the g.f. can read
the screen).  What these numbers correspond to is like a tcp port number
offset, so different applications can talk to the different displays.  I
think what putty is asking for is :0 or something.  Its not worded very well,
so its hard for me to say (any PuTTY users out there who use this feature?).

What the openssh implementations do for secure X forwarding is on the remote
machine, create a listening socket on display :10 (or whatever is availible-
this is configurable by the ssh server) and sets the envionmental stuff for
it. Then, it forwards any traffic it gets over the encrypted tunnel, and
gives it to the local X session via the DISPLAY variable.  Since ssh does all
the work for you, its a lot easier than working with "xhost +whatever" and
specifying displays.

Jay

--
Jay Kline