I have Cygwin with X windows working. I do not have KDE installed
locally (on the w98 box) it's on the Linux box.  I have X11R6 and fvwm
installed on the Linux box.  I figured out how to get X11 and fvwm
independently of each other. And I'm looking at a some what configured
fvwm screen I ran the configuration options and it has a nice maroon
background.
(I trying to describe where I am without sending a graphic. That and
it's about 7:30 AM Saturday morning).   I just did a ssh and connected
to my server "Imlidris" WooHoo :O)  I'm down loading KDE now.

Putty question
X display location
    This is something the Putty documentation talks about but never
really explains what to do with it.  Is this the local path to the x
window manager i.e. c:\cygwin\....?

[philosophy]
I'm starting to think Putty configuration is something that one must
have a little luck with.  I'm not a person who believes in luck, faith
yes, luck no.  I have faith that a configuration exists somewhere in bit
heaven but I'm not having much luck finding it.

Sam