1) Check your subnets and IP addresses.  Do ifconfig on Linux and ipconfig
/all on Windows.

2) Check routes on both with netstat -r

3) Check that the windows box is receiving the ping by doing a netstat -e
to see the interface statistics.

One problem I have had was a bad IRQ on the old NE2000 card I had in
windows.  It could send a packet but never got the interrupt to say it had
received one.

Another problem I had was a broken wire between the board and the BNC
connector (it was a cheap net lan card, how many people remember these?).

Hope this gives you some ideas.