Tom Penney wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 13:48, Sam MacDonald wrote:
>

>>OK I finally found what I needed.
>>Check out this site if you need to run SSHd on RH 6.2
>>

>Just a question... If you are just starting out why are you running such
>an old distribution? Redhat 9.0 is current and its free and it installs
>ssh with keys in place and everything by default. I won't be at the beer
>meeting friday but I'm sure someone could get a copy to you there. If
>not I could burn one and send it to you.  Wasn't 6.2 released last
>millennium?

Yes it was released last millennium and it works with the hardware I
have.  I have RH 8.0 it does not work with the hardware I have.  I tried
endlessly to get the old ISA NIC to work with RH 8.0 even tried
upgrading from RH 6.2 and it didn't work.  With out the NIC the
installation has no value.  I also have a legal license for Coherent on
5.25 inch diskette, that should take someone back to the 80's and early
90's.

I'm going to get flamed for this but that is life.
SCO is about to nail IBM to the cross and I'm glad they are doing it (my
opinion).  When that happens, if you are running kernel versions above
2.2 you will need to pay SCO large sums of money. Kernel code above 2.2
has code that SCO owns the patent to.
I use to work for IBM and let me tell you their motives on many fronts
are less then ethical. They talk a good line but when it comes to making
money don't stand in their way.  Don't tell management what they are
doing is wrong, because they don't give a dam about right and wrong
internally.

I have purchased licenses for all the software I own and I have a lot of
hardware to put it on.
3 windows 95 machines
1 windows 98 machine
1 windows 2000 server 5 user
1 RedHat 6.2 machine

So why do I run RedHat 6.2?  It uses a Kernel that does not have SCO
patented code in it.