On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:28:07 -0500
Ryan Hayle <hackel at walkingfish.com> wrote:

> It would likely be hard for a Windows user who thinks "tar.gz" files
> are a new experience!  I must be in the minority around here, but I
> know there's no way in hell I could compile OpenOffice.org on my
> system.  Even if I did free up enough disk space, it would take me a
> couple days to finish all the compiling...  Plus, "make install" makes
> me cringe...unmanaged files outside of my home directory?!?  Eek!
> Hope their "make uninstall" is reliable!

Just do it....  I, and many others were in your shoes before.  The first time was nerve wracking, after that, it's not hard at all.

With the -net install option, it's only the executables (binaries) that reside outside your home directory.  All your documents will reside by default in your home directory.

You wouldn't want MS Office running from your "My Documents" directory now would you?

Take the plunge!!!  =)

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"