On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:53:16 -0500
Ryan Hayle <hackel at walkingfish.com> wrote:
> apt-get install openoffice.org.  Couldn't be simpler.  No monkey
> business.
>
> Even if you're not lucky enough to have a debian-based distro, I'm
> sure those redhat kiddies have something similar you can use instead
> of compiling the source...

Bah!  Compiling from source is nothing on Open Office...

Get the source, install from source, feel the exposure to source, gain experience!  =)

It's not hard to install from source at all.

IIRC, all you need to do:

-download it (which you've already done)
-mv it to a directory.  I prefer to put it in /usr/local/src
-tar zxvf OO tar.gz file
-cd into source directory  (usr/local/src/OpenOffice....)
- run ./install -net  (ya want this because then it's only a couple of megs in your home directory for each user) as root
-su or login as non root user who will use this
-run /usr/local/src/OpenOffice.../setup

Follow the prompts.  Simple enough.  I haven't installed it in a while, but it's definately not hard.  =)

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"