On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Webmaster wrote:

> I just picked up an old IBM PC Server 330.

Sweet!

> BIOS ability to run:
> Diskless ( Not sure what that means, I think floppy, but don't know)

Probably means it can run as a diskless workstation, but if it's got
onboard SCSI, why would you? :-)

> I also have 7 Seagate Cheatah 18.2GB 10k HDs, and a few various 18.2 and
> 9.1 HDs (mostly 18.2, and 10k)

Sweetness.  Are you selling any by chance? :-)

> Would this work great for our server?

No.  It'd be terrible.  In fact, you shouldn't even be talking about
it.  Just bring it by house and leave it, I'll make sure it gets disposed
of properly.

> Also, has anyone had any experience with these?

Similar models, yes.

> I tried to install Win2k on it ( I needed a quick fileserver) and it
> couldn't find the HDs...any help?

When 2k install starts, it says press F6 to use a driver disk.  You need
to get a driver disk for the SCSI/RAID/whatever controller and tell
Windows to use it to install.  Check some of the other links posted in
this thread.  As new as 2K is, it has a lot of trouble with RAID and SCSI
controllers that have been on the market for a long time.

> I'm gonna give Linux a try on it...should I go RH or Mandrake?  (I've
> got RH 9.0, and Mandrake 9.1) Which one (probably) has better support
> for this system?

Redhat is probably the better choice, you may be limited a bit by the
funky controller though.  Grab a recent Redhat disc and give it a whirl.
Note sure what else out there would have a good set of RAID/SCSI
controllers.

Good Luck!

-Brian