I think upon login, users are put in a chroot jail.  you can't symlink out
of a chroot area no matter who sets up the link!
might look into chroot cells and if ProFTP is using it....

I was able to use loopback mounts once to do what you did... I'd have to
dig a bit to find my doc - if you'd like...  (I think I was using
wuftp....)