I have been working on a "Install Fest How-To" since I did not find
anything valuable on the net. If you find something let me know by
replying to this post.

The How-To is in 3 main sections: 1. Before the fest 2. During the fest
3. After the fest. I am almost finished with the first section and have
notes for the other sections. Instead of waiting for the whole doc to be
completed I will post the first section today, in a new thread.

I am no install fest expert but I did help organize the last fest and
thought it would be a good idea to get a document started so we could
continue to improve the experience for everyone.

One thing that we realized is that having a good location is key and
having several good locations to rotate through would be a very good
thing. I think if we had usable northern, southern, downtown Minneapolis
and downtown Saint Paul locations then we would be able to hold install
fests on a regular basis and hopefully not wear our our welcome. There
are some criteria that should/must be met for a location to be usable.
You will see that in the How-To. Lone Oak, the site of the last fest,
was a good location but we are looking for others.

We were thinking about having the next fest at Dunwoody since Malik Bush
(mbush at dunwoody.edu), the Director of Computing Programs at Dunwoody has
been offering to host a fest since last year and I don't think we should
lose the opportunity to have fests at such a central location.

As far as I am concerned we should also check out the Toro facility.

Just for the record, Joe Hesse (joe.hesse at saintpaul.edu) said he could
host *any* *kind* of event for the TCLUG at the Saint Paul Tech College,
  next to the basilica.

I guess that's about it.

K B wrote:
> I know at the July installfest I heard ideas for another one in September, at a Toro place.  What's the status on that?
>
> Say, we're gonna need network backbone stuff, right? *Jumps up and down, raising hands, shouting* I've got the stuff!
>
> I have, currently, in my possession:
>
> 9 Bay Networks Chassis 5000 (6 new, 3 used)
> They are loaded...gigabit fiber and ethernet, 10 and 10/100...total, like 500+ 10/100 ports.  They are for sale, if anybody's interested, contact me outside the mailing list.
>
> I'm looking to sell them, so I make no guarantees I'll have them come installfest time, but I will probably be picking up more.  Also, if anybody's looking for any type of networking hardware, let me know.  I have a source for much used hardware, both in computers and networking.  Printers too.
>
> Keith Bachman
>
> This is not about Napster or DVDs. It's about your Freedom.
> http://www.anti-dmca.org

Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff
rick at eworld3.net
952-929-1659