I saw that Sprint is offering unlimited Vision access on top of their
voice plans for $10/mo. Their cheapest voice plan is $30/mo, so for
$40/mo (and you can return the stuff within 14 days), I figured I couldn't
go too far wrong.

So, ran out to my local PCS Store, plunked down $212.98 (for the handset
and their $69.99 'pcs connection kit'). Booted Windows on my laptop first,
installed their software, and saw that the dialer calls #777. Rebooted to
Linux, set up a PPP connection over the USB port (/dev/ttyACM0) that dials
#777. A few minutes later, I've got a high speed link to the 'net, for
$40/mo!

I'm averaging 300-500ms latency.. not bad, considering. On downloads, I
get I get 7-12kbytes/sec (it varies a lot), which I consider great speed.

You also get a public IP address - IPSec works great.

All in all, I highly recommend it! Kicks the crap out of VoiceStream's
data stuff. Oh, my one recommendation - I picked up the Sanyo 4900, which
is a nice phone. BUt their PC Connection Kit cost me $70. I looked on
Sanyo's site, and you can pick up just a USB cable for $30 - much better
deal, in my opinion.