You shouldn't trust legal advice given to you on a mailing list.  Legal
questions need to be answered by your attorney.  (And, no, Asking Slashdot
is not an acceptable alternative, though many seem to believe otherwise.)

Munir Nassar writes:
> yes the original author owns the copyright. So does Arthur C. Clark
> own the copyright on the books he publishes. This does not mean that
> i cannot store the book that i bought in my library for 50 years. And
> if i so chose i could also have a small bon fire in the backyard and
> burn the book.
> But ACC does NOT have the right or the option to ask me to do either
> of those.

You're comparing apples to oranges.  Storing the book is not publishing it.
You have every right to do what you want with your copy.  But you cannot
make copies and publish them.

> second, postal code says that anything delivered to your mailbox is
> your own. You may not have copyright ownership, but you have
> ownership of the data. snailmail mailbox vs email inbox aside, IMHO
> this would hold up rather well.

Please cite the relevant laws that give you that right.  If that was in fact
true, there would likely be some exceptions, such as incorrectly delievered
mail.  Again, ownership of a copy is different from ownership of the
copyright.  If you go to Best Buy and purchase a copy of some software, that
does not give you the right to publish it.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/