On 24 Apr 2003 15:23:06 -0500
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> If you feel like ditching the Netgear boxes (or at least putting
> something in front of them), CUPS is a fairly simple to use printing
> system.  You should be able to print directly to the CUPS daemon if
> the client systems have new enough software.  CUPS runs the Internet
> Printing Protocol (IPP) natively, so you don't need to push print jobs
> through Samba if the clients support the protocol (Win2k and XP
> should).  Of course, there is extra stuff available for CUPS that
> allows you to use lpr/lpd too.

Apologies for the thread hijack, but it's related to what's above and this got me thinking.  I want to push printing through a firewall, and I'm planning on using CUPS.  What port(s) do I need to open up for it?

I realize the security risks for it...

--
Shawn

"I'd be a poorer man if I'd never seen an eagle fly." - John Denver