On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 10:48, Raymond Norton wrote:
> We are using a few netgear 110ps at a school. Each workstation has
> been set to print to a netgear port. It worked fine for a year. Now,
> every few days all workstations stop printing to the ps. The only way
> to resolve it, so far, is to create a new port. Once this is done
> everyone is fine for a few days, and then the problem occurs again.
>
> Is there a (easy to understand and implement) Linux print server I can
> set up to take place of the netgear boxes? Better yet, is there a
> simple fix for this problem???

Sounds like you are getting queues to hang up somehow, and you're just
creating new queues to get around the problem?  You might want to look
for some firmware updates to the box.

If you feel like ditching the Netgear boxes (or at least putting
something in front of them), CUPS is a fairly simple to use printing
system.  You should be able to print directly to the CUPS daemon if the
client systems have new enough software.  CUPS runs the Internet
Printing Protocol (IPP) natively, so you don't need to push print jobs
through Samba if the clients support the protocol (Win2k and XP
should).  Of course, there is extra stuff available for CUPS that allows
you to use lpr/lpd too.

I recently installed CUPS as a print server (you can just use it as the
local print daemon too), and had a little difficulty because I had to
allow access from the local network, but that was just a matter of
editing a few lines at the end of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and restarting
the daemon.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Never let school get in the
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   way of your education.