I'd suggest you work backward to a sane point.
Remove or move kernel src dir and config file, reinstall or untar
the kernel src, and rebuild.  If that works, start adding
your config changes and go from there.  If it doesn't work, start
looking at things outside the kernel(compiler,build scripts..).

On my RH7.3 system(that comes with 2.4.18-3), I just went through the process:
unpack
make mrproper
make oldconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

No problems.  I get a include/linux/compile.h file generated.