On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 03:39:35PM -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
> Performance-wise, if you don't need the per-user features of SA
> (per-user whitelist and thresholds, etc), you're better off running
> SpamAssassin through Mimedefang..

We use Postfix+SpamAssassin+Amavisd-new+ClamAV.  It seems to work pretty
well.  I don't have any performance tests for you to look at, but things
seem to clip along well enough.  The key with any of this kind of
software is that you want to pull apart the email message once, then run
all the tests upon it's constitutent parts in one shot.

One of the biggest detractor for me regarding any type of server-based
email filter daemons is that they also try to be local delivery agents.
It may "make sense" from a single-server, performance-nazi standpoint,
but for flexibility and scalability, proxying is a far better way to go.
If you can manage to use SMTP proxying, you don't have to impact how the
end-user manages his/her own emails.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/