On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Amy Tanner wrote:
> Not versus, in addition to.
>
> For instance, currently we run spamassasin in daemon mode.  I'm
> looking for AV program also.  Is there a benefit to running mimedefang
> in addition to these, performance-wise?  Or is it more if you want to
> do additional message-hacking?

Performance-wise, if you don't need the per-user features of SA (per-user
whitelist and thresholds, etc), you're better off running SpamAssassin
through Mimedefang.. on a set of tests I did recently, Sendmail+MD with
Sophie and SpamAssassin outperformed Exim+Exiscan with Sophie and Sendmail
in Daemon Mode by ~5-10%. Of course, Exim alone outperformed Sendmail by
~100%.

If you want to keep SpamAssassin in daemon mode, MD is still a decent way
to go for virus scanning, if you're using Sendmail. It's nice and moduler,
and (if you know perl) can be configured to do a lot of nice things, like
run multiple virus scanners across the message.

If you're using Exim, Exiscan works well. Not sure with Postfix, but I'm
sure there's hooks to a virus scanner available for it somehow.

> Does MD work with postfix or exim?

No, it's sendmail only. If other MTA's implemented the Milter API, it'd
work with them. The author's talked of hacking up the MTA's himself, but
doesn't have the time to do the work unless someone's willing to pay for
his time.

> Sorry for the brain-suck, Nate :)

'tis ok.  :)