When you boot off the livecd, run "lsmod" to see what modules it loaded
for your NIC (except, now that I think about it, it may not show you,
because *I think* the newer livecds have support for all the NICs built
in...) but if you search on google, you should find what driver you need
(my first guess would be tulip.o.) Be wary too, that in some situations
it acts kind of funny. For instance, with PCMCIA NICs, cardmgr will
bring eth0 up automatically, so when I boot, it generates an "eth0
already up" error and when I shutdown, an "eth0 not up" error, because
both cardmgr and the init scripts are trying to bring it up or down.

As for your configuration in /etc/conf.d/, you only need to change
net.eth0 if you also have a net.eth1, etc. If you're using dhcp and your
init scripts sit on "Bringing up eth0..." for a minute, *then* it fails,
it is not contacting your dhcp server.

If worse comes to worse, download a v1.2 LiveCD and modprobe various
net drivers until you find the one you need, if the version you have
doesn't allow you to do so. Once you find that, just add the appropriate
driver as a module in your kernel and you should be golden.

-John

>>> jhaahei2 at gac.edu 04/22/03 11:28AM >>>
I've been working on an install of gentoo for a while, and I've finally

got the kernel compiled.  When I go to boot, though, I always run into
problem with eth0.  It says that it can't bring up eth0.  I'm kind of
stuck -- I don't really know where to start trying to fix this.  It
would seem to me that maybe I didn't compile support for my ethernet
card, but I don't know what to do there.  I've got a linksys lne100tx
which doesn't show up in the kernel configuration anywhere.  When I ran

gentoo install off the cd, it found my card fine and got it working.

Could it be something other than the card driver?  In /etc/conf.d/net,
set it up to do dhcp.  Do I need to do more than that in net.eth0?

Anybody have any suggestions?  Perhaps this is obvious.  Ack.

justin