-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Thoren [mailto:mthoren at mttcc.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 11:14 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: [TCLUG] QT/KDE?

I saw the post for a QT/KDE developer and I have to ask what QT/KDE
gives you over simply using
vi, make, gdb, X-Motif.

I realize that someone has convinced the customer already to go down
this path, but is this is a trend?

What about the cost of business use licensing of QT?  Why tie the code
to KDE?

Why not Java?

Just curious as to what other are thinking about development within
linux.   Wouldn't linux go farther faster with standards that business
and industry can grasp and have some confidence in finding people who
know how to maintain their developed code?

There seems to be to many integrated desktop environments to keep up
with.   Can I suggest vi, make, and some debugger(gdb,xgdb,debugger,etc)?

Matt.

Matt Thoren
MTT Computer Consulting Inc.
www.mttcc.com
mthoren at mttcc.com

I think Philip Greenspun has a good point in this article
http://tinyurl.com/8ws4
"The non-Microsoft world seems to have descended into a Tower of Babel of
competing languages, libraries, and execution environments. "

There is a little truth to that.