On Saturday 19 April 2003 4:51 pm, David Phillips wrote:
> Jay Kline writes:
> > qmail does not follow the traditional unix-like structure in where
> > things are stored
>
> See this for an explanation of why qmail installs in /var by default:
>
> http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/install.html#whyvar

I didnt say there was no reason for what he did, I am just stating it is not
typical. When a new user is getting exposed to a unix envionment, they expect
things to be more consistant. His is just "different" (not bad).

> > how things are started.
>
> What are you talking about?  qmail can be run from init.d, rc.d or whatever
> startup method your system uses.  Of course, it is much more reliable and
> convient to run qmail (and any other daemon) under daemontools, but this is
> certainly not a requirement.

The default install puts things in inittab.  I would consider that unusual.
Again, not bad, but different. Of course  you can change things, but that is
not the default.

> > It may be secure, but
> > has not been updated in several years.
>
> So?  Does it need to be?  Dan doesn't feel the need to keep releasing new
> versions with more bloat.  He writes software that works correctly, so
> users don't need to keep upgrading for bugfixes.

When I see that a product (any product, for that matter) has not had any
active development since 1998, I take that to mean either the author no
longer cares anymore, or the author assumes the product is perfect and
requires no updates.  I would think its a little self centered of anyone to
think they can write perfect software.

Jay