That REALLY sounds an awful lot like access rights (issues).  I guess
I'd step back and verify that you a) have an account on your LINUX
machine matching (in name) an account on your XP machine.  b) verify
that all passwords for this account are identical on all machines.  c)
Be sure that the XP directory to which you will write has proper
read/write permissions for the account named in item "a" and there are
no quotas set under XP. d) make sure XP's built-in firewall is turned off.

I'm wondering if XP is somehow treating this as a special remote access
account...  I assume you're not dialing into it in any way...

Garrett