Clarification:(found in previous posts)

>"my PC" = a winxp machine?
	WinXP Pro

> Partitions on this winxp machine are not big enough to hold /home from the
linux server. Correct?
	Incorrect
	The partitions on the Linux server are not big enough to hold a backup of
/home
		except the /home partition.
	The WinXP Pro machine has plenty of room

>Which side do you want to initiate the transfer from?

	I want the Linux machine to initiate the transfer.

> If it's going to a scheduled backup, then is your xp machine constantly
powered up?

	Yes, <humor attempt> with two sessions of notepad running at once.</humor
attempt>

New Info:
When I mount the XP directory I notice that the bits change to turning off
write access to the mounted directory on the Linux side.  I noticed that
properties for the folder on my XP machine show that the directory is
"Read-only" (in fact every directory is designated as such).  I can not turn
this off.  If I try to it acts as though it does it(applies without an error
message) but when you bring up the properties again it it "Read-only" again.
I am researching the meaning of this "Read-only" it does not seem to have
the same implications that it would suggest since there in the sharing tab
you can set the permissions of the share.  But it still could be hindering
the transfer.