RWare at INTERPLASTIC.com writes:
> Does MySQL have stored procs and sub queries yet?  Row level locking?
> Last time I looked it didn't.  Postgres was miles ahead of it before
> as far as features and atomicity which Phil G writes a fair amount
> about.

Stored procedures are planned for 5.0.  InnoDB tables have row locks and BDB
tables have page locks.  Both InnoDB and BDB tables have transactions.
InnoDB tables are fully ACID compliant.

PostgreSQL has a lot of features that MySQL doesn't have and vice versa.
For example, does PostgreSQL have replication and hot backups?  Many people
using MySQL only use it for simple things.  They don't need ACID and don't
even know what it is.  A SQL database has a number of advantages over
home-rolled storage formats, such as flat text files.  Consistency, easy
access and network accessibility are just a few of the advantages.  Just
because the default table handler, MyISAM, doesn't have transactions and
does table level locking doesn't make it unsuitable for most uses.

Transactions are overrated anyway.  MySQL provides enough features that most
situations can be handled in a thread safe manner without locking.  Database
level transactions only protect the database, not the entire system.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/