On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Austad, Jay wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone could provide some recommendations for
> linux/bsd shell providers, preferably local, or otherwise.  I'm
> primarily interested in a reliable place to store and access email,
> run spam filters, throw up a few web-accessible files now and then.
> I'm in the $10/mo. range, and am looking at Pair's basic account
> (always had good luck with them), which gives 150M, but doesn't
> include any bells and/or whistles (php, perl, mysql, etc. See
> http://www.pair.com/pair/shared/basic.html).  So, does anyone know of
> any other solutions?

Although they are not a shell account provider, I have used webhost2.com for
my hosting, and have found they might work for what you need (apart from the
need for spam filters).  They are running Exim on the box I am on and have some
sane checks to cut back on the spam (DNS lookups, etc...).  They are catering
to Windows users and block a few attachments by extension name and a few other
annoyances, but for the most part have been good for the price ($50 / year).

Other than the mail servers acting a little flaky now and again (SMTP working
while the fetch IMAP or POP broken for an hour or two here and there), I have had
good luck with them.

Kelly Black
KB0GBJ