After I was forced to move to a new place recently, my computer's PS/2
mouse port appears to have started acting erratically.  I went and
purchased a new Logitech Mx500 optical mouse[1] that I could plug into a
USB port.  This mouse has some extra buttons on it, and I was wondering
if anyone knows how to fiddle with them in X.

The mouse has 10 total "buttons", with the first 5 being the normal
scrollmouse buttons.  Two of the others are right in front and behind
the scroll wheel and basically duplicate it's functionality (hold the
button down, and you scroll up or down a page, for instance).  There's
another button on top that does nothing at the moment (though the
pathetic excuse for a manual says it's supposed to be used for switching
application windows like ALT+TAB).  The last two buttons are on the left
side of the mouse.  At the moment, one of them scrolls up, and the other
acts like the middle mouse button.

It's not an awful default configuration at the moment, but I'd like to
improve it if I can.

1. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=3&CONTENTID=4998&countryid=19&languageid=1

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Error 01: Brainwaves
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   received in analog. Please