Keith writes:
> I am trying to get access rights to the Apache www folder, but I
>   cannot. How can I give my user write access to this folder?  Apache
> server installed and working succesfully (on localhost)

Add a www group; put your username into it; chown the directory to the www
group; give the www group read, write and access (execute on directories) to
the directory:

addgroup www
adduser username www
chown -R root:www /usr/local/www
chmod -R g+rwX /usr/local/www

The addgroup and adduser commands might not work with your Linux distro.
They work on Debian.  Alternatively, simply chown the directory to your
username:

chown -R username:username /usr/local/www

> How can I get the 'suspend' command installed?  I think I'm gonna need
> an installfest help with this one.

Try installing the "apmd" package.  If it's not a laptop, I wouldn't worry
about it.

> How can I have it stop trying to connnect to a DHCP server on bootup
> if it doesn't find one in say, 10 seconds, or else have a menu on
> wether or not to load it right away?  Again, probable installfest
> problem.

See "man 5 dhclient.conf".  You need to add "timeout" line to
/etc/dhclient.conf:

timeout 10;

This assumes you are running ISC's dhclient version 2.  If you are using a
different DHCP client, then see the documentation for it.

> Next: I want to get a MSQL database up and running (for a web-based
> intranet helpdesk system)

mSQL is not free.  You should look at MySQL or PostgreSQL.  I recommend
MySQL, as it is easier to setup and use.  The documentation is also easier
to read.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/