Sadly, when the computer doesn't turn on, there are no beeps -- it's as if
there is no motherboard, just the fans turn on. The box is pretty clean --
certainlly no mouse pee and not much dust. Its not overheating because
this happens when its been off for a day. I haven't touched the seating of
the memory, but alas I have only one chip, so I can't easily check the
ram. But it seems unlikely since I could compile my kernel (many times)
without any problems.... but what could explain inconsistent module

Ben

> It sounds suspiciously like a hardware problem to me.
>
> > Sometimes when I press the power button to turn on the computer, the fan
> > turns, but the monitor doesn't get a signal and nothing boots. Pressing
> > reboot fixes this problem.
>
> When this occurs does the box beep? long, short, number of times?
> If so the manual of you main board will tell you why it is not booting.
>
> It the box full of crap? dust, mouse pee, metal shavings?
>
> If you have several memory in there you may want to try booting with
> just one, then another, to rule out bad memory. It could be that memory
> is not seated right.

Ben Luey
lueyb at jilau1.colorado.edu