> I have used Jamie Zawinski's gronk, which has a couple of advantages
> over alternatives:
>
> 1.  It uses only a web server + perl, rather than a web server + perl
> + database.  He argues that the latter is overkill.  Now that I've
> ripped all 200+ of the CDs I own, I'm not so sure....

The jukeboxen I've seen need to have the mp3 renamed for the databases
to work properly.  That's a time investment for me.  But it may be worth
it in the long run....

> 2.  It uses CDDB information instead of just the ID3 tags.  I think
> this IS a real advantage, because the ID3 tags, even v2 are really
> impoverished in terms of the information they store.
>
> It also has some disadvantages:
>
> 1.  It's meant for a club.  That means that if you don't tell it what
> to play, it will just pick something at random and play it.  This is
> bad for my home for a couple of reasons:  (1) I don't want my stereo
> to do this and (2) My music collection ranges from the Clash to the
> Barber of Seville, with many stops in between.  Almost every random
> sequence of tracks it affords makes you want to puke.  A recorder
> concerto followed by "Janie Jones" will make you want to puke.
>
> 2.  CDDB is really only adequate for cataloging pop/rock music.  Once
> upon a time before the 60s, there was no assumption that the PERFORMER
> and the SONGWRITER would be the same person.  Or even that the
> SONGWRITER would be one person instead of a LYRICIST and a COMPOSER.
> CDDB just associates one person or band with a piece of music.  You
> might want to be able to find all the different versions of some Jazz
> standard by songwriter, e.g.  With CDDB you'll be able to find
> everything Billie Holliday sang, but no useful information about her
> accompanists, the composers of the songs, etc.  CDDB is even LESS
> adequate with classical music, where you might care about SOLOISTS,
> COMPOSERS, (for opera) LIBRETTISTS, CONDUCTORS, etc.

*nods*  Yes, I can see that.  I have the same problem.  I have a rather
ecclectic music collection that ranges from Mozart to Bach to Dvorak, to
opera to jazz, to folk, to ...whatever.  CDDB doesn't do it justice.

> 3.  The web ui is pretty clunky --- it's too slow to control the
> stereo in your living room, because there's a huge lag between the
> message getting to your web server and filtering through all the way
> to mpg123 or XMMS, which drive your speakers.
>
> 4.  I don't want to have a computer in my living room next to my
> amplifier!  I especially don't want a computer with a monitor for
> accessing the UI.  I want something that will run with an IR remote,
> and that has its own (small) display, or that can be operated through
> my TV set.
>
> Me, I'm probably going to abandon this attempt, and just buy slimp3 and
> serve up tracks.  I looked into building my own box, but I don't see
> how I'd save money over slimp3, even if I value my hourly effort at
> $0.

I think I'll give it another go or two.  In the mean time, while going
this I'm exploring other linux distributions, setting up a web server,
etc.  What I'm learning is only benifitting me.

Thanks for the info!!
NAS

Nathan Syverson <confundido at multiband.tv>