On Friday 04 April 2003 11:10 pm, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> This is not the best quote of the article, nor was most of his article
> needed.  The following paragraph is all that you really need to know:
>
> 	Please stop developing and using some obscure
> 	application when there are better alternatives. Not
> 	happy with them? Fix what's wrong, or if everything
> 	looks wrong, work at separating the functionality
> 	into a UI-independent library, then develop your own
> 	graphical interface.  Reusing and improving existing
> 	code, not making your own, is the way.  Drop the
> 	"not made here" syndrome and your 15 minutes of fame
> 	on freshmeat when making the announcement, and unite
> 	with the rest of the community.

	I can agree with most of this. Yes, NIH is a problem, but only in the sense
that it takes a little more research. Ok, so we've got a couple of movie
players. A little research will quickly whittle that down to two: mplayer and
xine. And since it's Free software, you can try both and see which one you
prefer.
	But the rest of the article, I re-assert, is a troll. I mean, come on,
everyone should use GTK+, because QT has "licensing problems"[1]? This is
also funny, because he contradicts himself with what he said above about only
two desktops. What's KDE going to do, recode itself in GTK? Most KDE
developers would rather drink antifreeze than port KDE to GTK. :)
	He also completely misses the fact that while Linux on the server side is
gaining ground, it also suffers from NIH, same as on the desktop side.
Freshmeat's "HTTP servers" section has 329 projects! Including, on the first
twenty hits, an http server in PHP, the AOL server, and several that claim to
be "small and secure."[2] The reason that NIH doesn't effect server-side
Linux as much is because the best projects have gotten the most word of
mouth. Why? Probably becaus they're just that--the best. They've risen to the
top, and now everyone knows what to use.
	You can't herd cats, and you can't stop teenagers from thinking that they can
code the l33test program on the face of the earth. Sorry. Deal with it. I
prefer it that way then having some megacorp dictate where I want to go
today.
	:Peter

[1] The sure sign of a GNOME troll, who claim that QT is bad because you have
to pay to make non-Free programs. And this is bad...how?

[2] http://freshmeat.net/browse/250/?topic_id=250

--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!