I think the article had a point but it also missed an important one.
One of the things that makes Linux great is evolution.  Not the email
client I'm using to type this, but survival of the fittest.  On Windows
people tend to use whatever package has the biggest marketing dept and I
suspect a lot of software has stagnated because of it.

On the other hand there is a lot of wasted effort on duplicate projects
because people want the ego boost of heading a project.

Brady