On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Keith wrote:

> Curious as to when the next installfest is...I'm having some troubles,
> just got Mandrake 9.1 installed, trying to get various features
> activated.  (I also have Red Hat 9.0 CDs)

its RedHat 9 now   :)

> System:
> Compaq Presario 915US
> AMD
> Mandrake 9.1

stinky comcraps

> I am trying to get access rights to the Apache www folder, but I cannot.
>   How can I give my user write access to this folder?  Apache server
> installed and working succesfully (on localhost)

chown -R <username>:<username> /var/www should do it on a RedHat system, i
am not certain on the location in Mandrake

> How can I get the 'suspend' command installed?  I think I'm gonna need
> an installfest help with this one.

have you tried apm -s as root?

> How can I have it stop trying to connnect to a DHCP server on bootup if
> it doesn't find one in say, 10 seconds, or else have a menu on wether or
> not to load it right away?  Again, probable installfest problem.

netconfig -d eth0 should let you specify a static IP, for that interface

> Next: I want to get a MSQL database up and running (for a web-based
> intranet helpdesk system)

install PHPMyAdmin or webmin, webmin can do much more than just sql
stuff...

> This is my first successful install, I think the next installfest would
> work best for this.  Also, I can borrow some hardware from my school
> (I'm an aide there as well) We have much hardware hiding in back closet
> (Disbanded CISCO class, hardware sitting for two years) So I've got
> hubs/switches.  I just need to know when the next installfest is, and
> where.  Maybe we need to start having these more often (and update the
> site, perhaps?)

since you work at a college, maybe we can have one there?

Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET