On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> "Linux is fragmented" "RedHat breaks their kernels" "RedHat broke the NTFS
> module in 2.4.9" etc, there are the sort of things that a vague comment like
> that starts, "RedHat didn't bother to backport the ntfs module updates from
> the newer kernels because they don't support the NTFS module" would have been
> less confusing, less biased, and much more informative =)

 Great.  Now your "more technically enlightened than thou" attitude is
spreading to the mailing list.  Sorry I can't live up to your standards.

> As for the 2.4.9 kernel, yes, you're 9 kernels behind the current redhat
> kernel (2.4.18). stop whining and upgrade =)

 You've yet to present an objective reason to upgrade.  I find having a
7.2 RPM build host more useful, thanks.

> >  Getting apt-get working, then running "apt-get dist-upgrade" wouldn't
> > have been faster.  (I don't use apt-get; updating the server farm from a
> > local NFS server is more time- and bandwidth-efficient, and kinder to
> > mirrors.)  Installing a minimal (~150mb) Mandrake install went very
> > quickly.  And besides, this relies upon the (false) assumption that I
> > wanted 7.3 on that machine.
>
> rpm -Uh http://apt.freshrpms.net/redhat/7.3/en/i386/RPMS.freshrpms/apt-0.3.19cnc55-fr8.i386.rpm
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> done.

 If that would take less than 15 minutes (slow CD-ROM on the install),
sure.  If not, it's just wasting time.  But that still assumes that I'd
want 7.3 on that machine.  How hard is this for you to understand?

> >  Once again, another "latest is greatest" debate.  Joy.
> >  Why don't we throw in a editor/MTA/MUA/distro war in, while we're at it?
>
> RedHat isn't providing the latest, (latest kernel release is 2.4.19), but
> when they release updates, you should consider actually upgrading, if you
> don't, you have no right to bitch, whine, complain or anything else,
> Much like running development kernels, or debian unstable.

 I was referring to your insistance on running the latest release.  If I
wanted bleeding-edge, I'd run RawHide, Debian Unstable, or Mandrake
Cooker.  I don't.  I want stable, reliable servers.  So I stick with
stable releases.  I prefer to thoroughly test a release before putting it
on a mission-critical machine.  Why?  Downtime isn't an option.  My
co-workers and clients need these servers to run.  I don't have the luxury
of time and resources to break and unbreak servers.
 When have I bitched about RedHat?  When have I whined?  When have I
complained?  I don't think you want to start flinging mud around.  All I
did was voice a (poorly worded) warning meant to save people time,
frustration, and confusion.  I'll remember to keep my mouth shut in the
future, lest I anger people.

 This has the feel of a fight picked merely for the fun in fighting.  Big
surprise.

     Jima