On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 11:49:30AM -0500, Jima wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> > If you didn't run old redhat versions, and refuse to upgrade, you
> > wouldn't have these problems.
>
>  Oh, yes, RedHat 7.2 is bloody ancient.
>  I upgrade when there's a reason.  I don't have a reason to install 7.3 on
> my devel box.  My workstation, yes, but not that machine.
>
> > "apt-get dist-upgrade" would have been a lot faster than installing mandrake,
> > and spreading FUD (even with a url that points out that this was with 2.4.9-*)
> > is bad, even if you aren't microsoft.
>
>  Since when is stating that RedHat has a screwy NTFS driver (in 7.2, I
> forgot to mention; my apologies) FUD?  It's not an attempt to drive people
> away from Linux.  It's not even an attempt to drive people away from
> RedHat.  I doubt it'll inspire any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt in anyone.
> If it does, I think my previous post should be the least of your worries.

"Linux is fragmented" "RedHat breaks their kernels" "RedHat broke the NTFS
module in 2.4.9" etc, there are the sort of things that a vague comment like
that starts, "RedHat didn't bother to backport the ntfs module updates from
the newer kernels because they don't support the NTFS module" would have been
less confusing, less biased, and much more informative =)

As for the 2.4.9 kernel, yes, you're 9 kernels behind the current redhat
kernel (2.4.18). stop whining and upgrade =)

>  Getting apt-get working, then running "apt-get dist-upgrade" wouldn't
> have been faster.  (I don't use apt-get; updating the server farm from a
> local NFS server is more time- and bandwidth-efficient, and kinder to
> mirrors.)  Installing a minimal (~150mb) Mandrake install went very
> quickly.  And besides, this relies upon the (false) assumption that I
> wanted 7.3 on that machine.

rpm -Uh http://apt.freshrpms.net/redhat/7.3/en/i386/RPMS.freshrpms/apt-0.3.19cnc55-fr8.i386.rpm
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

done.

>  Once again, another "latest is greatest" debate.  Joy.
>  Why don't we throw in a editor/MTA/MUA/distro war in, while we're at it?

RedHat isn't providing the latest, (latest kernel release is 2.4.19), but
when they release updates, you should consider actually upgrading, if you
don't, you have no right to bitch, whine, complain or anything else,
Much like running development kernels, or debian unstable.