Me too.  Don't worry about whether or not the camera works under gphoto,
just buy a CF or  SmartMedia reader that works with linux.  Must faster,
and much more convenient for pulling photos.

I have the Canon Elph S100, and I love it.  The picture quality on Canon
cameras seems to be consistently better than most other brands, at least
for non-professional cameras.  Kodak seems to be the only comparable
brand as far as quality goes, but they buy their lenses from Canon.
 Plus, if you buy a Canon, they use CF cards.  Some of their cameras
support type 2 CF cards, which means you can use the IBM Microdrive in
it to store your photos.  I get 212 pics at 1600x1200 on my 128MB CF
card, and 727 pics at 800x600.

Jay